15 Aug 2015

16th August 2015 - A News Round up - 20th Sunday in Ordinary time (Year B)

On this weeks programme John, Anne and Shane take a spin around the globe discussing some news items from different parts of the Christian world. We have also have our regular reflection on the Sunday gospel as well as other liturgical odds and ends

You can listen to the podcast of this weeks programme HERE.

Knock Novena



We gave a reminder about story of Knock and the events during the novena in Knock.

You can find out more about the novena and see what is being streamed during the novena HERE.


Our Lady of Knock , Queen of Ireland, you gave hope to your people in a time of distress and comforted them in sorrow. You have inspired countless pilgrims to pray with confidence to your divine Son, remembering His promise, “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find”. Help me to remember that we are all pilgrims on the road to Heaven. Fill me with love and concern for my brothers and sisters in Christ, especially those who live with me. Comfort me when I am sick, lonely or depressed. Teach me how to take part ever more reverently in the Holy Mass. Give me a greater love of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Pray for me now and at the end of my death. Amen.


SS102fm has broadcast a number of previous programmes about Knock and the understanding of the apparition there as well as a number of blog posts about the devotion to Our Lady as Queen of Ireland. You can access them under the tag Knock.
Some News from around the World


On the blog on a regular basis we post links to news items that catch our eye from time to time on the www! So this week we decided to share it with our regular listeners who may not have regular internet access. You can find links to the topics discussed during the programme under our Some web browsing articles which can be accessed here.

Topics covered during the programme including New York to Knock; life for Christians in China; the Pope's summer plans; the announcement of the World Day for Prayer for the Care of Creation on September 1st; update on the Jubilee Year of Mercy; the reminder from Pope Francis to keep Sundays as days of rest; the last Catholic priest in the Antarctic.

Gospel - John 6: 51-58


I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”



Reflections on this weeks gospel:

Word on Fire
Centre for Liturgy
Sunday Reflections

Liturgical odds & ends

Liturgy of the Hours: psalter week 4; 20th week in ordinary time

Saints of the Week

17th August - Our Lady of Knock
18th August - St. Louis of Toulouse
19th August - St John Eudes
20th August - St Bernard
21st August - St Pius X
22nd August - The Queenship of Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.