22 Apr 2018

22 April 2018 - Good Shepherd Sunday (Vocation Sunday)

On this weeks programme John and Shane take a dive into the archive to one of our more popular interviews with Fr Chris O'Donnell about vocations which was originally broadcast back in 2012. We have our regular reflection on this Sundays gospel from St John which has the great discourse of Jesus as the Good Shepherd as well as a run through the liturgical odds & ends for this week and some notices.

You can listen to the full programme podcast HERE.

Vocations Sunday - A Reflection with Fr Chris O'Donnell


“What will you do with your life? What are your plans? Have you ever thought of committing your existence totally to Christ? Do you think that there can be anything greater than to bring Jesus to people and people to Jesus?” -Pope John Paul II

22nd April 2018 is Vocations Sunday. Pope Paul VI instituted the World Day of Prayer for Vocations on the 11 April 1964 by saying: “O Jesus, divine Shepherd of the spirit, you have called the Apostles in order to make them fishermen of men, you still attract to you burning spirits and generous young people, in order to render them your followers and ministers to us” (Pope Paul VI )

Pope Francis reminds us:'Vocation is today. The Christian mission is now. We should not wait to be perfect in order to respond with our generous 'yes', nor be fearful of our limitations and sin but instead open our hearts to the voice of the Lord. It is a beautiful and a great grace yo be completely and forever consecrated to the Lord.'


In the years since, successive pontiffs have called on the Church to focus and pray for vocations. Prayer and promotion of vocations takes place on a daily basis here in Ireland but in a particular way on Vocations Sunday which this year falls on Sunday 22 April, the Fourth Sunday of Easter.

On this weeks programme we go back into the archive and dig out a reflection on vocation from Fr Chris O'Donnell which was originally broadcast in 2012 where Fr Chris reminds us of the need to find space to be able to figure out what it is we are all individually being called to.

You can listen to the interview with Fr Chris HERE.



Gospel - John 10: 11-18


“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.”
Reflections on this weeks gospel:

Word on Fire
English Dominicans
Sunday Reflections
Centre for Liturgy

Liturgical odds & ends

Liturgy of the Hours - Psalter week 4; 4th week of Easter

Saints of the Week

April 23rd - St George
April 24th - St Fidelis of Sigmaringen
April 25th - St Mark the Evangelist
April 26th - Our Lady of Good Counsel
April 27th - St Asicus of Elphin
April 28th - St Louise de Montefort

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.